Closely based on Stephanie Hurlburt's tweet-form rider
If you're interested in having me speak at your conference I've included a number of ways you can contact me in at the end of this page.
I'm very honoured you've decided to invite me to your event and I want all conferences and events to be welcoming to all. So with that in mind, this is my speaker & inclusivity rider. It's a constant work in progress, and I understand smaller meetups and community events may not be able to meet all requirements. However, this rider does apply to all commercial conferences.
1. Code of Conduct: There is public Code of Conduct linked available on your conference pages.
2. Speaker Diversity: as a white cis man, I count as "another white dude" at your event, and I want to see conferences showing off the truly diverse world we live in. The event will have at least 40% non-white cis men speaking
3. Costs covered: all speakers' travel and lodging is covered.
4. Payment: if I'm being paid for my talk, all other speakers are also paid at least what I am being offered.
5. Workshop payment: a full day (or multi-day) workshop is paid at either an agreed minimum fee or a 50:50 profit split.
✻ I hope to see this number increase in time.
These requirements are important to me because I'm a position in my career that I can help towards making conferences more positive and safe in this small way.
I'd also like to add that I struggle with this kind of language and being able to articulate exactly what I want to see happen. I'm a skilled developer but not a skilled HR individual. However, I do know that a full line up of white men at event is not something I can be part of any more and I want to be part of positive change in our industry.
Email is preferred and most reliable (as it gives us all a historical thread of conversation). If your email goes unanswered, please don't hesitate to re-email (my apologies).
You can email at [email protected] - this email goes to me and my business partner (who makes sure you receive a reply).
For best results, please include the following details if you can:
- Whether the rider requirements are fulfilled (or when you expect they'll be fulfilled if you're in the early planning stages)
- The date of the event
- The location of the event and nearest airport
- What you want me to speak about (ideally you have an idea)
If you have feedback or positive suggestions on the language used in this rider, I would welcome your help to improve it - please email me directly at [email protected].